Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Humble theorem - Envy in Kyoto

Envy



This might look like any normal music gig, but for me it was a completely different experience to what I'm used to in Australia. This is Japanese hardcore in Kyoto.

The similarities to concerts in most Western countries I've visited are obvious, the crowd nods their heads as the bands release some pent-up emotions, and connect with their audiences using the international language of sound vibration.


Theorem



But then you might look a little harder and notice some differences which may only be slight, but have an amazing impact on the way the music is received.





Notice the way the band is not raised up above everyone else. This tiny difference had an significant effect on the way I connected with the music. It wasn't about going to see an amazing band that had to be placed on a pedestal. It was about listening to some talented guys doing what they do best, 'kickin' out the jams'. Playing on the same level as the audience seemed to send the message 'lets share and enjoy this experience', as opposed to 'we are better than you, you should idolize us'.


As the name suggests, 'Hardcore' music is usually quite aggressive, not only the way the music sounds but also the way people act while listening to it. The stereotypical hardcore fan might be a big muscle man with a shaved head and tattoo's, who barges his way to the front of the stage and guards his turf without consideration for anyone but himself. But what was fascinating about the Japanese audience was their gentle nature, even in the centre of the mosh pit I felt no need to protect myself from a wayward flying elbow, as everyone seemed a little more cautious of trying not to hurt the people around them.

The audience was significantly quieter than most of the rowdy hardcore and heavy music gigs I've been to back home, and it seemed true that they were concentrating on the music a bit more than your average western gig. Also all of the bands had members who stayed after their set to talk to the punters and sink a few beers.

Once again I keep coming back to the same themes of humbleness, respect, awareness and concentration. They're not present in every part of Japanese culture but they do seem to be more dominant than what I'm used to.


All photos taken at Whoopee's in Kyoto



Whoopee's - http://www.whoopees.net/


Masonna - http://www.yamazaki-maso.net/ Follow links to merzbow/boris/kknull/ghost/astro/keiji HAino/acid eater etc.


Envy - http://www.sonzairecords.com/envy.html




Bears @ Namba - http://home.att.ne.jp/orange/bears/info.html




Club Saomai @ Namba - http://www.club-saomai.com/

3 comments:

  1. Great topic for this week. I like it a lot when I can see the enthusiasm of my students in a post. You are obviously reporting on something of interest to you. Good observations and lots of helpful links. Your comments are similar to those made by the Megadeath guy from the film we recently saw in class. Nice attempt at photography in a challenging setting. You did a better job than I did a while back:

    http://visualanthropologyofjapan.blogspot.com/2009/02/toe.html

    It seems as though you were moving around and looking for good shots - nice.

    Your post makes me want more information. Did you talk to other people in the audience for their ideas about this and other live shows in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And wasn't it great that people weren't talking during the music, either? At the show Prof. Fedorosama and I saw, everyone was dead silent, even between songs! It seems like they show a lot more respect for the bands in Japan, even if they don't elevate them over the crowd. Great times. Hope you enjoyed the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonthros - Hmmm, I didnt really talk about this aspect of the show to other people, but everyone I talked to was really nice. I met one guy from a band called humpty dumpty, and they're playing at bears next weekend so I might get a chance to talk with them more then. I checked out TOE btw, really nice mellow stuff! Would be great to listen to on a lazy Nichiyoubi afternoon! :D.

    Joe - Yeah, that aspect was great too! I also liked the way the band took the time to really thank everyone between songs. I wasnt sure of a lot of what they were saying but everyone was dead silent, so much less ego trips.

    ReplyDelete