Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Base'ic differences.



One thing I have noticed about Japanese sports is how dedicated they seem to be. I mean some sports clubs meet 5 times a week for three hours or more, that leaves barely any time for partying!! There seems to be more importance placed on the team than I've experienced in any of the sports I've played, or seen being played. After watching the DVD 'Kokoyakyo - High School Baseball' I was really amazed at the dedication and emotions brought out by the complete focus on the team success. They seemed to really wear their hearts on their sleeves and always pay their respects to the opposing team which I believe is a really admirable trait.







We recently went to a baseball game with a group of Japanese students. Apparently it's getting close to the end of the season so it was a bit of a pointless game to watch (in terms of the team standings), but there were still many fans who came to cheer for both teams. The home side was the Orix Buffaloes and they were playing the Rakuten Eagles.







What surprised me was that our Japanese friends didn't really seem to mind who won, as long as we got to see some good plays, we were actually cheering for a tie in the hopes of getting to watch a longer match. So as my German friend picked a side to barrack for to cheer his team on, and playfully slur the other team (they ended up losing... sorry mate), I couldn't help admire the cheering just for the love of the game.


My American room-mate also explained to me, that the Japanese teams are much more skillful around the infield when compared to American teams. Also that American players usually try to slug every ball and try to get a home run, whereas Japanese teams are more about loading up the bases. Another thing my Japanese friend told me was that they're coach was very well respected and known for yelling at the players when it was necessary. It seems to me that coaches in most sports have a similar job, which is to know your players. To know when to push them and when to hold back. It seems as though even though the emphasis is placed on the team as a whole, a heavy burden rests on the coaches shoulders.


There was also a team of cheerleaders, which I am told is another difference to the American game. I felt the cheer squad (trombones and all) were as much a part of the team as anyone else, and all the die hard fans were happy to support their team no matter the odds.
Buffaloes Website:

1 comment:

  1. OK, so I am really liking your post titles and the subjects of your post as well. You can never go wrong with baseball and live shows (by the way, toe isn't always mellow, they can produce some pretty loud, trippy jams - I think they are one of those bands that are better live than in recording. Anyway...). I like your observations and how you bring in the film we saw in class. Japanese baseball isn't always about the game itself - fan involvement is just as important. I am sure you got a good taste at the game you went to. I hope someday you can experience a Hanshin Tigers' game. You should check out some posts from last semester - many students had a chance to go to Koshien.

    ReplyDelete